Sunday, February 10, 2013

Flan Patissier (French Flan)

Flan
My first time to France, I was introduced to this dessert and fell in love with it.  This happen to be hubby's favorite dessert.  I looked through and tried many recipes till I found this recipe in a French Website, Journal de Femme.

Ingredients:
Pate Brisee
3 eggs
100 gm corn flour
3 tbsp vanilla extract

1 liter milk
160 gm sugar
2 packet vanilla sugar

Method:
1.  Roll out the pate brisee (short crust pastry) onto a baking pan about 9". Place them in the fridge and prepare the flan.
2.  Beat the eggs, corn flour and vanilla extract in a bowl.  (Lazy Cook does not use vanilla extract, I use vanilla beans instead).  If the mixture is too thick add a little bit of the 1 liter milk.
3.  Bring to slow boil the balance of the milk and sugar. Since I do not use the vanilla sugar, I add half the beans from the vanilla beans.
4.  Remove the milk mixture from fire and add them into the egg mixture.  Mix well and return the mix into the pot and stir over slow fire till thickens.
5.  Pour the mixture onto the pate brisee.
6.  Since I do not pre-cook my pate brisee, I bake the flan at 200°C for 10 minutes then lower it to 180°C and continue to bake for 30 minutes.

Ready for the oven


7.  Remove from oven and cool.  I love my flan cold so I put in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment