Monday, December 20, 2010

Crepes

Crepes with Fig Jam
Crepes
I still remembered the first time I made crepes, I got the recipe from a blog and it did not turn out the way my Breton hubby likes it! 'This is not crepes, I am Breton and I should know better!' he exclaimed! Then he took out his recipe book from the hotel school he attended and whar lar! Here is the recipe:
Crepes au Sucre
Ingredients :
250 gm all purpose flour (sifted)
500 ml milk
50 gm unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs
50 gm sugar
2 gm salt (or a pinch)
1 tsp crepe essence (optional)

Method:
1.  Mix the flour, sugar and salt. With a whisk, add the milk and beat till smooth, then add the eggs.  The recipes says add the eggs first then the milk but I find that adding the egg then the milk, the batter comes out lumpy, so I normally add the milk first.

2.  Add the melted butter, then if you have add the crepe essence, sometimes I forget and there is not much difference.  Let the batter stand for 2 hours to let the flour absorbs the moisture. The time for the batter to stand is up to you sometimes I let them stand longer and sometimes shorter.

3.  Butter the crepe pan or a normal frying pan and cook a thin layer of batter, cook on both sides. It depends on the size of your pan, but mine about 9 inch (23cm) pan, makes about 12 nos.

4.  This time I fill my crepes with Fig Jam which my neighbour made, my all time favourite is with nutella.

In France, crepes can be found in almost all supermarkets and I never liked crepes till I learnt to make my own.  Fresh from the pan, it is very addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment