Thursday, December 23, 2010

Eee Kueh




Eee Kueh
Every year on my birthday, my mom would make Eee Kueh for the family.  She has stopped making them for a while, so every year my brother's mother in law would make them and he would bring them for me for my birthday! This year I'm spending my birthday at home in France so I did not want to miss this Eee Kueh, so I have decided to make them....

Place the glutinous rice flour in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and gradually add water, mixing with your hand until it forms a soft dough that does not stick on the hand. For every 100 gms of dough you need to add about 100 ml of water. I make about 250 gms.

Divide the dough, the biggest portion of the dough is the white colour, my mom use to make red, yellow and green! Since I have only red colouring I settle for only red colour.  The coloured balls have to be smaller than the white balls.

White dough ready to form balls
Divide the dough into small portion and roll in between your two palms.
White Balls

Red dough

Red balls
My mom used to make the balls at night and let it sit for a night.  I made mine in the morning and let it sit till the evening.  Cook the syrup about 1 tablespoon of sugar for every 100 ml, if you like it sweeter add more sugar.  If you have ginger just add a small piece of ginger about thumb size.  I don't have any ginger so I just add a dash of ginger powder. Set aside.  I do not like a lot of syrup so I just made about 500 ml.

Boil a pot of water, add the white balls and when it floats up, remove and place them in the sugar syrup. Then do the same for the coloured balls.  Do not re-heat the sugar syrup once you have place the Eee Kueh into the syrup cos it would taste horrible after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment