Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tarte Tatin

Success!! Tarte Tatin


A popular dessert in French and I finally got it right!  I love this dessert and it is expensive to buy but so cheap to make, fairly easy once you get the correct recipe.  I have failed so many times till I found this recipe in Taste of Home website.

Ingredients :

1 cup sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
6 apples, peeled, cored & sliced into 12 slices
1 tbsp unsalted butter
pâte brisee (http://zhelazycook.blogspot.com/2011/01/pate-brisee-short-crust-pastry.html) or pâte feuilletée

Start the oven at 200°C.

Roll out the short crust pastry to the size of the pie dish.  Keep in the fridge for later use. I use an 11 inch pie dish. Line the pie dish with parchment paper, this step is important cos the tarte tatin would come out beautiful and no need to dig out from the pie dish!
Pie dish lined with parchment paper
Peel and cut the apples and squeeze a lemon into the apples to prevent it from turning brown.

Apples
Combine 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and flour (flour mix).

In a small skillet, heat 3/4 cup of sugar with about a tbsp water, do not use any spoon, just move the skillet around till the sugar caramalised. You can add less water but because lazy cook is lousy in making caramel, I add a little more water. When the sugar is golden in colour pour it onto the pie dish, it doesn't matter if the sugar does not fill up the dish.  Lay the apples in the pie dish, top with the flour mix and layer the rest of the apples, dot it with butter.  Can see from my picture, lazy cook style of layering the apples, in Penang, we say kalam kabut, in English would be freestyle!

Before topping the pastry
This time I have some Puff Pastry leftover, so I use Puff Pastry, normally I prefer Short Crust Pastry, cos Puff Pastry have their moods!

Ready for oven
Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.

Straight out from the oven, so ugly!
Let it cool for about 2 hours before turning them over.  I let mine cool for about 4 hours and whar lar.....

No comments:

Post a Comment